Friday, November 21, 2014

Laurel Heights by Lisa Worrall Review

3 stars out of 5
I enjoyed it *with a caveat*


Synopsis:
"Detectives Scott Turner and Will Harrison are sent undercover after an apparent murder/suicide in Laurel Heights, an exclusive gay housing community. Will the two closeted officers be able to hide their attraction while each believing the other is straight? And is there a killer amongst them waiting to claim his next victim?"


I almost gave it 4 stars but I felt like it took a long time for Scott and Will to pull their heads out of their asses and own up to being attracted to each other. And then the whole revelation that they've been in love was just too much for me to believe. Plus there were a few little things that picked at me.

 photo 21465089_zpsf2eb873c.jpg
*Now for the caveat: I did not read the epilogue. I saw the first sentence of it and decided that it was not for me. Funnily enough, this was the main complaint that I saw other reviewers had with the book.

What I liked:
-The murder mystery and setting. That whole concept of a suspicious murder of people who were so in love I thought that it was such a good idea. I really enjoyed that it took place in a gated community; I think that the setting really upped the "who can it be" question, and it made me really suspicious of everyone. Plus, gated communities have that stereotype of being mysterious and very gossipy and I really enjoyed that that was really present in this book.

-The undercover assignment. This was something that I really loved because it made both men rely on each other, and it caused them to live and hang out with a potential killer. It added to the creepy unsafe feeling that I had while reading. I also enjoyed the fact that these two closeted men had to "pretend" to be gay.


What I was not a fan of:
-It really made me uncomfortable that both of Scott and Will's partners shared their secret with the other. Obviously those men did not tell people for a reason. And to just dismiss the trust that they had and go tell someone else really made me upset. And when both of the ladies were sort of confronted they acted as if it wasn't a big deal that they had broken the trust. I don't know but it just left a bad taste in my mouth after reading that, and having no apology or at least even a little acknowledgement that they were sorry was just not okay to me.

-Who the killer was. It felt really random and I had to look back and try to remind myself who the person even was. The killer was so un-rememberable that the "big reveal" fell flat for me, and had me scratching my head to remind myself who the guy even was. The killer felt like such a caricature that he just didn't feel believable. Yes it was disturbing to read the things that he did and the torture he was doing to another member of the community but it just felt so forced.

-As I stated before, the length of time it took to reveal that they were both gay and attracted to each other. 

-The fact that they were already in love with each other felt so fake to me.

-The little "parties" that the community would have. That all just felt odd and sort of out of left field, and the fact that the cops semi participated was also odd. I don't mind the swingers aspect or the added sexual partners, but it all felt very forced and just did not fit with the story in my opinion.


Final thoughts
If you can get passed the little things here and there you will definitely enjoy this book. The mystery part kept me on my toes the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment