Saturday, November 15, 2014

Rack & Ruin by Charlie Cochet Review

4.5 stars out of 5
I was so in love with this series already, but this book cemented my eternal love.

Synopsis:
"New York City’s streets are more dangerous than ever with the leaderless Order of Adrasteia and the Ikelos Coalition, a newly immerged Therian group, at war. Innocent civilians are caught in the crossfire and although the THIRDS round up more and more members of the Order in the hopes of keeping the volatile group from reorganizing, the members of the Coalition continue to escape and wreak havoc in the name of vigilante justice. 

Worse yet, someone inside the THIRDS has been feeding the Coalition information. It’s up to Destructive Delta to draw out the mole and put an end to the war before anyone else gets hurt. But to get the job done, the team will have to work through the aftereffects of the Therian Youth Center bombing. A skirmish with Coalition members leads Agent Dexter J. Daley to a shocking discovery and suddenly it becomes clear that the random violence isn’t so random. There’s more going on than Dex and Sloane originally believed, and their fiery partnership is put to the test. As the case takes an explosive turn, Dex and Sloane are in danger of losing more than their relationship"



 photo 22714908_zpsacdad136.jpg
This book had pretty much everything that I adore: cute boyfriends, amazing friendships, bonding moments, surprising twists in relationships, some angst, an ending that will leave you anxiously waiting for the next book, and of course Dex

I am so in awe of this world that Charlie created, it is so complex that it feels real. The characters in every book, but especially in this one, have such real reactions and emotions that your heart totally goes out to them. There is some trouble in paradise for a couple of our beloved couples: Cobbs and Cash. There are a couple new relationships starting to form and I cannot wait to see where it goes with Lou/Bradley and Zach/Austen.

What I really loved:
-Sloane and Dex as a couple. I feel like this is the first book where we see them able to be boyfriends, without any real questioning or guilt (Sloane I'm looking at you). It was really refreshing for them, because I feel like we never get the chance to see them just relax & be comfortable in their relationship, now that they are "officially" boyfriends you can sense that ease. I have to say that Sloane usually frustrates me (in the best way, love you boo) but in this book I felt no frustration (well except for one teensy part). He and Dex were just so easy together that it made me so happy and comfortable for them.

-Dex and Ash. I thought that they were really great in this one together, their dynamic changed towards the end and I felt so thrilled about that. I can't wait to read the next one and see how that effects Dex and Cael's relationship.

- SSA Austen. He was such an adorable and flirty little thing. I loved how he was in the opener of the book and just stole the scene, making Hobbs blush and referring to Sloane as Agent Broody that was hilarious! I am so excited to see more of him in future books and how his relationship with Zach progresses. It will be fun to watch a big bear and flirty but skittish cheetah end up together.

-Dex making Sloane purr while human was the most adorable thing ever, and it needs to happen again!

-Tony chopping off someone's luscious locks.

-Believe it or not I liked the ending. Even though it has me anxiously counting down the days until the next one, I felt like it was necessary. It further cemented this new closer bond between Dex and Ash and it really gives us a reason to hate the antagonist of the next book, it shows that this man does not give a shit and will do anything to take down those who cross him. And I don't know about you guys but I enjoy a crazy villain that tries to kill people most would try and stay far away from.

Now what I wasn't too excited about:
-Cael and Sloane at one point (readers you will know which point I'm talking about). I understand that it was a disagreement and they both felt bad after it happened but poor Dex is always there for everyone and I think that they all need to be reminded not to take him for granted. I just wanted Dex to snap and show people that he is not an emotional punching bag or the comic relief.

-There wasn't a lot of Tony and I get that he isn't a part of the core focus but I kind of missed scenes with him and wanted some more.

-The scenes with Dr. I-can't-remember-his-name. It made me very uncomfortable, I do not like him as a character because I feel that he is constantly chalking up Sloane's pain from childhood as "necessary" and "not as bad as it could have been". He never took any accountability for any of the pain and suffering that the first gen therians went through and sounded very unapologetic. These poor kids were basically in a prison that tortured and tested on them, it just all feels really skeevy and I definitely feel that Sloane (and Ash) are justified in their pain and anger.  I don't know how to explain it but I just am not a fan and hope he isn't a big part of future books.


Final thoughts
If I had to say one thing about this series it's that it sucks you in from the very first page, and you don't want to leave it. If you have not read the series before I definitely recommend that you do, you will not regret it!

Book website: http://thirdshq.com/
The author has a Pinterest that has everything about the series: http://www.pinterest.com/charliecochet/

No comments:

Post a Comment