Wednesday, June 24, 2015

How to Catch a Cheetah by Liza Kay Review

4 stars
I actually really really enjoyed this one! 

Synopsis:
Dear Author,
The ostrich is a shifter; the cheetah can be as well, if you desire. And this scene should appear in the story at some point. Have fun with it! I want to laugh.
Anything else you want to do with it is fine by me.

Photo Description: 
In the picture we see a cheetah in full run, chasing an ostrich through a steppe-like landscape. The ostrich’s wings are spread, his feathers ruffled, as he tries to escape the faster, but physically weaker, cat. Above those two, we see the line SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT.

This story was written as a part of the M/M Romance Group's "Love is an Open Road" event. Group members were asked to write a story prompt inspired by a photo of their choice. Authors of the group selected a photo and prompt that spoke to them and wrote a short story. 


At first I was a little thrown off by Dji's attitude and hurtful actions, but once they reunited and got together(which was almost immediate) it started to really work for me. 
 photo 25742591_zps3yisulzd.jpg I absolutely loved that Kei didn't take any shit from Dji, and that he didn't give in and immediately accept an apology. Kei not only made Dji apologize but he also voiced how hurt he was and what those hurtful actions caused; I love it when a couple fully communicates in books because to me it's just like in life, how can you and your partner grow or change if the reason you are being stunted is never addressed or resolved? 
So that was a really fabulous point for the author to put in. 

What really annoyed me was that Dji didn't go to Kei first not only about the pregnancy, but also about the fact that he could get pregnant. That just rang as immature and irresponsible to me, but I can almost forgive/forget it because of the anxiety and true fear that you could feel when Dji thought Kei wouldn't want to be with him any more because of his ability to get pregnant or because of the fact that he was pregnant. I sort of liked this vulnerable side to the confident and self assured ostrich.

A sequel any sequel or companion novel needs to come out because I am dying to see where the author takes these characters, especially Thony and Alan.

For more Love is an Open Road stories:
click here

No comments:

Post a Comment