Wednesday, February 4, 2015

North PoleCity Tales series by Charlie Cochet

**I am reviewing books one and two in the series and I thought it would be much easier to do both in one post since both are not only short stories but also short reviews, and because it would save me some time :)

Mending Noel (book 1)
2.5 stars out of 5
 photo 16198158_zpsc2x8zrk8.jpgThis was a sweet story and I liked the mystery portion a lot. 

Synopsis:
"All is not sparkly snowflakes and sweet candy canes in North Pole City. Office workers Tim and Noel do nothing all day but antagonize each other—petty fighting that might be based on hatred… or a heated mutual attraction. It’s up to Jack Frost and his elf-friend Rudy to broach the hostilities and introduce some Christmas kisses, but is the Frost Prince up to the challenge of launching a new romance when someone’s trying to break his holiday spirit?"

Which was surprising to me because with such a short story the mystery portion of the plot felt really fleshed out, and I am one of those readers who feels that if there is a suspense or mystery element it has to be fully done or else I am not going to like it. I also really loved Jack and Rudy♥ 
I can't wait to see where their story leads to. I'm really hoping for some flashbacks to the early days of their relationship or finding out how they got together.

I just can not get over how nasty and just mean Noel was. It wasn't a sweet grumpy or anything it was really mean and hurtful, and there was really no super heartfelt apology that would make me feel mildly better.



The Heart of Frost (book 2)
3.5 stars out of 5

I did like this one a lot more than the first book of the series, but it was not what I expected. 


Synopsis: 

"At the North Pole, no one is more powerful and feared than the Prince of Frost. As general of the toy soldier army, Jack Frost has been working extra hard to put away the villainous Mouse King once and for all. If that isn’t taxing enough, Jack has to deal with the scandal and gossip brought on by news of his relationship with Rudy Rein Dear, captain of the Rein Dear Squadron, which hit headlines last holiday season. Lucky for Jack, his reputation has managed to deter any foolish attempts to stir up trouble. At least until now.

When someone sabotages Rudy’s plane during a test run a few weeks before Christmas, Jack is determined to find the culprit by any means necessary. The closer he gets to finding answers, the more difficulty he has not falling back to his icy ways. Has the Mouse King stepped up his game in order to throw Jack off his, or is someone a little closer to home behind the attempt on Rudy’s life? Either way, Jack has every intention of delivering a Christmas they won’t soon forget, even if it means losing the newfound warmth in his heart."


I loved that we were able to see the love that they have for each other but I'm disappointed that we only witnessed this in memories and the first part of the book. They were separated a little too long for my tastes, it sort of felt like the whole middle part they weren't together and that annoyed me.
 photo 19033177_zpsafnc6emv.jpg
I also wasn't a huge fan of lying to a partner in order to "save" them heartache. To me that is bullshit and it isn't your right to decide what your partner can handle and what they can't. Jack should have been told what a conniving little fuck *SPOILER* his cousin Hollis*END OF SPOILER* was, because he should have the right to know and choose who he wants to surround himself with. I felt like Rudy crossed crossed the line by keeping that secret and making others keep it as well, especially since it was literally right after he and Jack promised no more secrets like that.


But other than those small annoyances I really enjoyed this book, and I love the affection and love that they share with each other it is incredibly sweet and heartwarming( I swear I did not realize the pun until after reading what I wrote!! Oh god I'm laughing so hard).


**I don't think I'm going to read the next book in the series. I really am interested in Vale and would love to read his story, but Vixen just does not interest me in the slightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment