Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Talk Sweetly to Me by Courtney Milan Review

4.5 stars out of 5

This was so unexpectedly amazing. Yes there were flaws(like any book), but I did not give a single fuck. That's how deep I was in while reading this story. 

Synopsis:
"Nobody knows who Miss Rose Sweetly is, and she prefers it that way. She’s a shy, mathematically-minded shopkeeper’s daughter who dreams of the stars. Women like her only ever come to attention through scandal. She’ll take obscurity, thank you very much.

All of England knows who Stephen Shaughnessy is. He’s an infamous advice columnist and a known rake. When he moves into the house next door to Rose, she discovers that he’s also wickedly funny, devilishly flirtatious, and heart-stoppingly handsome. But when he takes an interest in her mathematical work, she realizes that Mr. Shaughnessy isn’t just a scandal waiting to happen. He’s waiting to happen to her…and if she’s not careful, she’ll give in to certain ruination."
 photo 20325481_zpsorfrcyuh.jpg
I was smiling, and swooning, and tearing up, I just loved every second reading about two amazing (fictional) people. I want to get lost in their story again and again. 
I loved how relatable it was no matter the time difference or intellectual difference I had with the characters. I felt so connected to them that when it was over I was shocked by how fast the ending came all while having a stupid smile on my face. I could relate to both characters so much that I agreed with both of them at a time when they were having conflicting feelings with one another. With Rose I can totally relate to struggling with a partner who is white, in a world that doesn't like mixed race relationships. 

Story time: I briefly had a (white) boyfriend once who did not realize that racism was still a "thing" and was appalled every time someone commented on our relationship. He couldn't understand how I dealt with people saying ignorant things to me on a daily basis, nor did he ever have to deal with his friends and family commenting on a relationship of his or asking inappropriate questions about a girlfriend before. It really opened up his eyes to the fact that our relationship would be hard work not just regular couple stuff between us, but also between us and those who had a problem with our different races.

So I could see why Rose (at first) just believed Stephen was trying to seduce her, not to mention he had a reputation for sexing up the ladies. Which I really couldn't picture because his character was so far from the "rake" character that that description of him felt odd. 

I could definitely understand how frustrating it was for Rose to have Stephen not fully realizing the hardships that would be in store for them...for life
But I could also understand Stephen's point that he really loved her and it didn't matter how hard situations would be, that it would only make him want to stand by her side even more. 
I just loved that their main sources of worry not really "frustration" was focused on how much they didn't want the other one to struggle or hurt. 

So all in all I fucking loved this story and would definitely recommend it to anyone. 

My only real complaint is how short it was.

**I haven't read the rest of the series, just this one, so it can definitely be read as a standalone if that's what you wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment