Monday, February 23, 2015

Rise & Fall by Charlie Cochet Review

3.5- 4 stars out of 5
I don't know how to rate this. On one hand I love this series and the characters but on the other the plot sort of fell flat for me

Synopsis:
"After an attack by the Coalition leaves THIRDS Team Leader Sloane Brodie critically injured, agent Dexter J. Daley swears to make Beck Hogan pay for what he’s done. But Dex’s plans for retribution are short-lived. With Ash still on leave with his own injuries, Sloane in the hospital, and Destructive Delta in the Coalition’s crosshairs, Lieutenant Sparks isn’t taking any chances. Dex’s team is pulled from the case, with the investigation handed to Team Leader Sebastian Hobbs. Dex refuses to stand by while another team goes after Hogan, and decides to put his old HPF detective skills to work to find Hogan before Theta Destructive, no matter the cost. 

With a lengthy and painful recovery ahead of him, the last thing Sloane needs is his partner out scouring the city, especially when the lies—however well intentioned—begin to spiral out of control. Sloane is all too familiar with the desire to retaliate, but some things are more important, like the man who’s pledged to stand beside him. As Dex starts down a dark path, it’s up to Sloane to show him what’s at stake, and finally put a name to what’s in his heart."
 
 photo 22714910_zpsdiukrioj.jpg
I truly love this series and all of its characters, but this installment just did nothing for me plot wise; I loved parts of it that felt like little extras but plot wise not so much. I think that the other books had so much more and this one felt very one note. But this book was still very funny, sexy, and entertaining but only in certain parts. I just felt like the revenge plot was so drawn out. I mean how many chapters can we read about Dex being a dumbass and ignoring his boyfriend? 


So let's jump in with what I didn't like:
-Dex and his revenge. This to me was probably what brought the book down. It went on for sooo long, and it was just more annoying than gripping. I mean his boyfriend needed him and he decided to ignore him, after Dex told Sloane to stay with him and let him take care of him. I mean I was just so over it by the middle of the book and skimmed his scheming portions of the book.

-Dex and Sloane ignoring the problem. Jesus Christ this annoyed the fuck out of me! It was so frustrating having two grown adults pretend that something isn't wrong when it clearly is. When Sloane finally confronted Dex I was so relieved. 

This was honestly it. This was the only thing that I didn't like, and I didn't like it so much that it really made me not love the book.

What I liked:
-Dex and Sloane's relationship(when Dex wasn't being stupid). I love how close and loving they are together it is really awesome to read. Oh my god when Sloane **SPOILER** marked Dex **END OF SPOILER** I was on cloud nine no joke, full on smile and hand to my chest swooning. I loved that by the end of the book they feel like they are finally on solid ground. 

-Everything that is Tony. I have mad love for Tony and any scene he is in or anytime he is mentioned i want more!! I don't know if I want to see him get a book because I am fucking creepy and I feel that Tony is mine. The way the book ended with him I was dying!! I cannot wait for the next book to pickup where this one left off :) It was a cliff hanger but a hilarious one.

-Cobbs. Seriously that scene was fucking hot and well worth the wait.

-Ash's relationship with Sloane...and everyone. Ash was just such an awesome character and I love the more we get to see of him interacting and not being a total dickhead.

-Finally knowing what happened to break up Hudson and Seb. It was tragic and sad, and I have know idea how Charlie is going to fix that; but I have faith in her.

-The little snippets we got to see of Bradley and Lou. I am beyond excited to see their story in total.

Final thoughts:
Honestly there were a lot of little things that I really enjoyed, and that's why I think my rating will lean more towards a 4 star.

Definitely recommend if you have read the series. But if you feel like this one isn't for you skip it, I don't think you will be missing too much that you wouldn't be ale to pick up in the next book.
I am so excited to be in the povs of Ash and Cael :) Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment