Sunday, February 8, 2015

Stories Beneath Our Skin by Veronica Sloane Review

5 stars out of 5

Wow... I was not expecting to love this story as much as I do.

I can't even describe just how fantastic this was, everything I could have wanted was there. 

Synopsis:
"Tattooing might have once been Liam’s passion, but he left it all behind along with ugly memories when he went to college. When his uncle’s health fails, Liam must come home at last to say his goodbyes. His days are spent at the hospice, leaving his nights to rake over the past. To fill those empty hours, he takes a job at Great Sin Ink. The close knit friendship of the workers there both intrigues and shakes Liam, who has spent the last four years keeping everyone at arm’s length. Neither Deb, the no-nonsense piercer, nor Goose, a manic tattoo artist, will let Liam get away with his isolationist ways for long.

If it were just those two, Liam might have stood a chance -- but there’s also Ace, the owner of Great Sin. He hires Liam despite a thin resume, and that is a kindness Liam can’t forget. The two start up a tentative friendship, learning about each other as the summer days melt into each other. Slowly, Liam reveals a tender heart underneath the wall of quotes he uses to keep everyone out. Unfortunately, life doesn’t stand still, and both Liam and Ace have hard struggles before them that might break them up before they can even get together."

 photo 21887834_zpsdgxihgts.jpg
This was just such an amazing and genuine book. Like I said above I can't even describe how great this was to read. I was not expecting my reaction to this book at all. Just top notch writing and such great emotions. It was all so real, that it was difficult to remember that these were fake people. 

All of the reactions were exactly like how normal real life people reacted, there was no stupid miscommunication bullshit or anything. All of the characters were so honest and straightforward that I feel in love with each and everyone of them.

This was my first book by this author, and it will definitely not be my last. I just am in such awe of the characters, the plot, and the setting. I have such an obsession with anything to do with tattoo artists that I loved being able to get a look into their world. That was a really fun part of the book. I appreciated the love that these characters had for their jobs and customers.

I also really loved that there wasn't any real plot. Now that is usually a bad thing when it comes to novels, but in this case it wasn't at all. There was no annoying plot that got in the way of the characters or the character development. It was all about trying to move on with life after life shits on you. It was a story about every day people, and it felt like a random person was picked to be written about. I loved that Liam was just a regular guy trying to live his life. I loved that there was no hidden secret babies or action plot or any gun shoot out. It was just regular people trying to live.

Liam had some pretty shitty things happen to him in his past and they definitely shaped his present, but I loved his strength and perseverance and how he overcame those obstacles. I love reading about strong characters. I love reading about people who give a shit about themselves and want to fix what they see is a hinderance.

Damn can we just talk about how hot Ace is....wow. I loved that he was much shorter than both an average book "hero" and his love interest Liam. I am attracted to shorter guys being the more dominant pair in the relationship. I find that little details like that make me like a book much more. Plus he is tatted up and has a dreaded mohawk damnnn can I holla??

Final thoughts:
So if you are looking for a book that is very contemporary and low on the drama and unnecessary bullshit this is your book! I love it so much and have reread it an embarrassing amount of times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment