Saturday, November 22, 2014

Overflow by Brynne Asher Review

1.5 - 2 stars out of 5
I am so sad that this didn't turn out how I wanted it to. I really was looking forward to this book.

Synopsis:
"Gabrielle Carpino has forced herself to move through the motions of life over the past few years since tragedy touched her family. Closing herself off from living her life and refusing to look in the future has become her norm...that is until one day at a clients home where she's thrown into a tailspin of craziness! 

Gabby's awakening begins as she is cuffed and patted down by Special Agent Jude Ortiz, with his dark chocolate eyes and a commanding bossy way that Gabby just can't resist. When Jude's protective instincts kick in, he finds himself wrestling feelings he hasn't allowed in years and he moves in to watch over Gabrielle. Between battling criminals, flooded basements, fantasy football drafts and Gabby's crazy family, Jude finds himself unable to resist her beauty and quirkiness. 


What begins to look like a chance at happiness for Gabby and sexy Jude Ortiz, it could all be ripped away when past demons are forced into the light. Jude fights off the demons around them creating a safe place for Gabby to allow herself to overflow and live again."

 photo 23311253_zps5ac45763.jpg


I am just so disappointed. I read so many great reviews, but what I read was the complete opposite. I was so prepared for a fun book with love and action, but instead I got a book that was so choppy I didn't understand what was going on. I in no way felt the connection between the characters until I got to the end, that was when I felt Jude's feelings towards Gabby and how much he cared for her. 

What I liked:

-The epilogue. I really loved getting a look at their life together in the mountain "cabin" with all of their kids. It was a really sweet ending, I really loved seeing the bond and love that they all had for each other. If only the rest of the book was as cute and sweet as this was.

-How Jude called Gabby "sugar". That is one of my favorite terms of endearment that I feel isn't really used that much, and I thought it was really a cute name to have other than the generic "baby". 


-How close Gabby's family was with each other. I come from a very close and loving family so whenever I read about one it really makes me smile and understand exactly how the character feels. Yes her family was a little overbearing, but nothing that felt unbelievable or unrealistic.

What I had problems with:

-How so many of the plot points felt so random and out of nowhere. I don't know if it's because they weren't introduced sooner or if they just weren't fully fleshed out. For example *SPOILER*her parent's accident wasn't really an accident.*END OF SPOILER* There was no lead up to this and it randomly was tossed out in conversation. It was just so weird, and it just didn't fit the story. And then there was all the drama that went with that revelation: the kidnapping, the shoot out, and the reasoning why it was done.

-The prologue. About half way through reading the book I suddenly realized that I had no idea what the prologue had to do with what I was reading. It was just so unexplained until the tail end of the book, and even then it still felt out of place.

-Gabby and Jude's relationship. There was no lead up or slow burn, or anything. One minute they meet, the next he stays over to protect her, and the next they are hard core grinding and making out. It was all so out of nowhere, yes they had sexual tension but it felt so forced and rushed. It wasn't really until the end that I could feel and see how much Jude cared about her.

-Gabby. For the longest time I really just didn't like how she handled things and wouldn't take things seriously. She would constantly "stall" important conversations by asking or saying stupid things, instead of asking or answering Jude what he wanted to know. She also would constantly second guess him to the point where he was so frustrated that he would sit her down and be like: I really like you and I want to be here. What more can I say for you to believe me and stop questioning us?? And I was in the same boat as Jude it got really annoying and old fast.

-Jude and his big secret. Dude what the fuck? Share important things like this with your partner because no matter what secrets come out and you will have no control how the information gets out. If he just told Gabby I'm sure she would have been understanding, but with the way it came out it seemed like Jude was lying and thought of her only as a piece of ass and not someone he wanted a future with. That whole situation was fucked up, and I felt horrible for Gabby and how she was treated and talked to by Connor.



Final thoughts
Don't let my feelings change yours or your desire to read the book. A lot of other people loved this book, I unfortunately wasn't one of them.
**I'm not sure if I will read the next one in the series, it's about Gabby's cousin Tony. He really intrigued me so we will see.**

No comments:

Post a Comment